This attractive village is situated on the old London and Hamilton Road. It contains a long and straggling row of houses fronting the London Road, a brick built Methodist church, a general store, a post office, of which Mrs. Dowling, a widow, is the Postmistress. The population is estimated at two hundred. It is about two miles east of Cainsville.
~ from The History of the County of Brant, Ontario, Warner, Beers &Co, 1883, pg 371